The Sentinel Project is looking for experienced, skilled, passionate Software Developers to help us grow our current web and mobile infrastructure and work with us on innovative technology solutions to the problem of mass atrocity. To find out what the technology team is currently up to, check out our Latest Projects or read our overview of The Role of Technology at The Sentinel Project.
What you’ll need:
- For web developers, proficiency in PHP and MySQL, and for mobile developers, proficiency in Java for Android
- Hands-on experience with popular libraries such as jQuery and Bootstrap
- Strong familiarity with object-oriented principles, MVC and normalized database design
- Familiarity with usability principles and current web standards
What we’d also love to see:
- Strong familiarity with current privacy / security technologies, particularly relating to encryption
- Hands-on experience with responsive design and development, particularly for older phones and limited connectivity
- Experience working with data acquired from open APIs (e.g. Twitter API, Google Maps API)
- Experience creating wireframes and information architecture
- Exposure to task management platforms such as Trello, Pivotal, Jira, Basecamp, etc.
- Exposure to formal QA methodology (regression testing, test scenarios, automated load testing, etc.)
You’ll be a strong fit for this role if you’re:
- Autonomous and detail-oriented, with an attention to quality bordering on obsessive
- Actively involved in the web, social media or mobile communities
- A strong communicator with excellent verbal and written skills
- Knowledgeable both about current technical trends and constraints and about technologies being used elsewhere in the human rights and international development communities
- Willing to contribute a reasonable number of hours every week, and diligent about delivering to agreed upon timelines
What’s in it for you?
- Serve an important cause by contributing to an organization approaching the problem of mass atrocities in an innovative way
- Work within a diverse team of dedicated, interesting people with a variety of roles and backgrounds
- Practice and develop management skills relating to both people and projects
- Opportunity to participate in exciting field work initiatives, conferences and training
- Develop your technical and professional skills through our unique approach of combining technology and research
Complete the form below to apply for this role.
The Sentinel Project is grateful to all applicants for their interest in our organization. Although only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted, don’t assume that because you haven’t heard from us right away, we’re not keeping you in mind for future opportunities with our team. Our needs change constantly.